In 1878 Russi was conferred the title of “città” to honour Luigi Carlo Farini; its important Roman villa shows that the town has a very ancient history.
Russi was harshly damaged by the 1688 earthquake that hit the whole of Romagna; indeed, the town centre has a prevalently XVIII century style.
The church of S. Apollinare is in the main square; it was rebuilt in the second half of the XVIII century and houses a painting ascribed to the school of Melozzo da Forlì. Next to the townhall lie the remains of the Medieval stronghold built by Guido da Polenta, now home to the local museum Museo civico. The XVIII century church of S. Maria dei Servi and the town gate Porta Nuova are also in the town centre. In via D'Azeglio there is an interesting small museum with a collection of Local bells and rural ceramics.
The Roman Villa is in via Fiumazzo, about 2km from the town centre. Excavations started in 1938 and revealed a settlement of more than 3,500 square metres that was active between the Augustan Age and the IV century. The site features remains of porticoes, beautiful floor mosaics and wooden buildings; wall paintings and small objects are displayed in the town museum. The villa is surrounded by a 13 hectares wildlife reserve with a grove and a pond.
The monumental Palazzo San Giacomo (also known as Palazzo Rasponi) also lies along via Fiumazzo; its XVII-XVIII centuries allegorical frescoes are the most remarkable of this kind in Romagna. The 1757 chapel was restored by Cosimo Morelli.
The VIII century Parish of Santo Stefano in Tegurio and the Museum of Contemporary Furniture Design (with a collection spanning from 1880 to 1980) are both in the village of Godo. The village of San Pancrazio is home to a high Medieval parish church and to the Museum of rural life in Romagna.
How to get there
Russi is in the province of Ravenna, it is 16km from Ravenna, 65km from Bologna, 23km from Forlì, 17km from Faenza
Tollagates: in Faenza on the A14 (16km) and in Bagnacavallo on the A14dir (5km). The town lies at the cross of the main roads S.S.302 Brisighellese-Ravennate and the S.P. 253 San Vitale (which links Bologna with Ravenna)
Last update: 26/02/2013 (Redazione di Russi)