The clock tower was built where the old Medieval castle gateway used to be since it was founded around the early centuries after 1000, probably upon Barbarossa's wish, as some documents state. The same old documents report that the castle was surrounded by very strong walls and a deep moat called "la Fossa" (the moat). What is thought to be left of the old castle is probably just one of the two towers, which was thereafter transformed into the clock tower, before 1377.
"La Porta" (the gate), as the tower is usually called, has a wide arch which leads into the square in front of the church chiesa Arcipretale, and has a bell which is being called "la campana della ragione" (the bell of reason) since 1487, because its sound used to be the call for the citizens in charge of ruling the town.
Address: Piazza Garibaldi - Sant'Agata sul Santerno - 48020 (RA)
Tel: 0545 919900, info - Information Office
How to get there
In the town centre.
Last update: 24/07/2012 (Redazione locale di Sant'Agata sul Santerno)