BAGNARA DI ROMAGNA
Bagnara still preserves its original Medieval stronghold; the fascinating town centre is surrounded by late XV century walls with an entrance tower and five small ramparts.
The castle, named Rocca sforzesca, is the symbol of the small town, together with its Renaissance atmosphere and original architectural features such as arcades, courtyards and wooden ceilings. The building houses the museum Museo del Castello, with an archaeological collection including local findings dating back to the Bronze Age, the Roman period and the Middle Ages; the Medieval heritage of Bagnara can also be seen in the archaeological site of "Prati di S. Andrea".
The XV century Archpriest Church of the Saints Giovanni and Andrea houses a "Madonna del Pubblico Voto" terracotta, a christening font, a XV century tabernacle and an XVIII century organ. The parsonage is home to two interesting collections: the Parochial Museum of Sacred Art, displaying the XVI century altarpiece "Madonna e Santi" by Innocenzo da Imola, a wooden crucifix of the Donatello school and many devotional ceramic; the Museo Pietro Mascagni, a collection of memorabilia about the Tuscan composer which was donated to the town by the Bagnara-born singer Anna Lolli.
The nearby church Chiesa della Natività (1452) is now a concert hall. The sanctuary Santuario della Madonna del Soccorso, designed by Cosimo Morelli and opened in 1770, is about 2km from the town centre, not far from Lugo; it houses a painted Madonna and child terracotta, once devoutly worshipped by pilgrims because of its alleged power of turning a pond into miraculous water. The XV century Villa Morsiani is a centre for the research, selection and breeding of St. Bernard dogs.
How to get there
Bagnara di Romagna is in the province of Ravenna, it is 35km from Ravenna, 50km from Bologna and 65km from Ferrara.Tollgates: in Lugo, on the A14dir (10km), and Imola on the A14 (12km)
Bus and coach
Lugo railway station is at 10km and is on the Bologna-Ravenna railway line, change for Ferrara and Faenza
Last update: 30/01/2016 (Redazione di Bagnara di Romagna)