PIEVE ROMANICA DI BARBIANO
This ancient parish church presents the typical local romanic structure. Today the ancient church of Barbiano can be admired thanks to an important and succesfull restoration of the outside structure.
The oldest parish church of S.Stefano in Barbiano used to be where the present is still now, probably around the X century. This oldest building has left no traces, while the present parish church is thought to have been erected before 1409; in this way it would have not been destroyed as the castle of Barbiano, distroyed on that same year.
Once, only churches named "Pieve" could have the right to baptize, so their power was spread in the sorrounding area, reaching churches, chapels and oratories of a wide territory, as they did not have the baptistry.
So it was for the church of Barbiano, which had the right to baptize all the children of such a wide sorrounding territory that arrived to Fusignano. Beside Lugo with the church of S. Giacomo and S. Ilaro, Barbiano's church had also in his territory Zagonara and Budrio of Cotignola.
Only in 1315 Lugo's churches gained the right to baptize, thus putting an end to their dependence from Barbiano.
Address: Via Antica Pieve, 9 - Barbiano di Cotignola - 48010 (RA)
Tel: 0545 78043, info - Church
How to get there
Town centre of Barbiano di Cotignola. Car and bus park.
Open on: during services
Last update: 24/07/2012 (Redazione locale di Cotignola)