CHIESA DI SAN FRANCESCO
The church, built in Gothic Roman style, was built in the decade 1484-1494 following the Papal bull dated June the 6th 1484. The consecration is dated 1495.
The church preserves the uncorrupted corpse of the Blessed Antonio Bonfadini, who died in 1482 and is known as "Cotignola Saint".
Worth of mention are some frescoes, survived to war's damages: the two angels holding Biancoli family coat of arms of an anonymous XVI century artist; the fresco depicting the "Pieta" attributed to Gerolamo Marchesi, on the original site above the entrance door of the left nave, today only the sinopsis remains, while the fresco is currently placed above the main altar; finally it can't be forgotten a fanlight depicting the "Pietà" which represents the final part of an altarpiece carried out by the Zaganelli brothers (XV c.), now kept in the Brera Galley in Milan, one of the main art museums in Italy.
Address: Via San Francesco, 15 - Cotignola - 48010 (RA)
Tel: 0545 40155, info - Convento di San Francesco
How to get there
At one kilometer from town centre, Lugo direction, adjacent to the local cemetery. Wide car park in front of the church. Accessible to disabled.
Open on: open during services
Last update: 21/06/2012 (Redazione locale di Cotignola)