home pageCotignolaDiscover the area › Art and culture
CAPPELLA DEGLI SFORZA
On the front side of the church of San Francesco, the Sforza chapel is connected to the main building with a nice arcade.
CHIESA CATTOLICA PARROCCHIALE NATIVITA' DI MARIA VERGINE
This church was built in Neoclassical style. Budrio's church owns an important reliquary with pieces belonging to several saints. Each of those holy relics has an official document stating its autenticity and released by the Church.
CHIESA COLLEGIATA DI S. STEFANO PROTOMARTIRE
The church was built in 1376 and hosts an altar piece of the Veronese painter Felice Torelli (1666-1748), a painting of the bolognese school of the Carracci and a precious tombstone carried out in the XVI century by Pietro Barilotto from Faenza.
CHIESA DEL PIO SUFFRAGIO
During World War II the church was heavily damaged: the bell tower was completely destroyed; only the facade and side walls were left. Church is dedicated to all the people of the territory of Cotignola who died in wars.
CHIESA DELLA MADONNA DI GENOVA (formerly MADONNA DELLA PILLA)
The original church dates back to XVI century. It was almost completely destroyed during the Second World War and only ruins of it still remain. Evidence of the former building are the right wall, left untouched, and the pretty Renaissance facade.
CHIESA DI S. FRANCESCO
The church, built in Gothic Roman style, was built in the decade 1484-1494 following the Papal bull dated June the 6th 1484. The consecration is dated 1495.
CHIESA DI S. SEVERO
The style and the structure of the present building were designed by the imolese architect Cosimo Morelli, at whom is assigned the third rebuilt of the church carried out in 1789. During 1946 it was necessary to restore and partially rebuilt the church in the original Romanesque style because of the serious damages and destructions caused by the Second World War.
LA STELE DEI VARII
The "Caio Vario" funeral stele was found in 1817 nearby Cotignola.
NON-AUTOMATIC DISTRIBUTOR OF COURAGE
It used to be an ENEL power transformer cabinet. Now it is a ‘non-automatic distributor of courage’. The street artists of ‘Collettivo FX’ from Reggio Emilia painted this mural. It depicts the faces of the four Cotignola-born Righteous heroes Luigi and Anna Varoli, Vittorio and Serafina Zanzi, as well as those of the seven Martyrs of the Senio River executed by a Nazi firing squad in October 1944, of partisan Leno Casadio and local priest Father Stefano Casadio who freed Cotignola from Nazi occupation with the ‘white flag’ scheme, and of young partisan Esiodo Rava.
ORATORIO ROSSINI
Rossini is the chapel of one of the most ancient Cotignola noble familiy. The famous composer Gioacchino Rossini comes from this family.

This website uses Cookies (even of third parties) to improve your navigation experience and to collect statistical data. By continuing the navigation of this website, you will accept the use of these cookies. accept   more info
siti internet acticode.it