CHIESA ARCIPRETALE DI S.GIOVANNI BATTISTA
This church, with a late Medieval structure, was rebuilt several times during the centuries, till it was completely destroyed during World War II bombing. The rebuilding and redesinging of the church was carried out by the Bolognese architect Alberto Legnani.
The church preserves a XVI century painting on wood depicting Christ Baptism, which is attributed to Dosso and Battista Dossi, and the image of Our Lady, Patron Saint of Fusignano, painted by the capuchine monk Francesco Acquaviva. This small picture, according to tradition the artist painted it while standing on his knees, was choosen by the local archpriest Don Pietro Tolomei who, in 1570, decided to put the town under the protection of Our Lady. Local people have always shown great devotion to this image, indeed in 1627 Our Lady became the Patron Saint of the town.
Angelo Biancini carried out the two round copper shields with religious symbols, which stand on the sides of the portals, moulded in concrete and engraved with cotto decorations, and the ten capitals with Evangelists' symbols and episodes from Christ Passion. Raoul Vistoli is the author of the crucufix and of the fourteen episodes of the Via Crucis.
Address: Piazza Armandi - Fusignano - 48010 (RA)
Tel: 0545 50173, info - Church
How to get there
The church is in the central Piazza Armandi, with car park in the square and along the streets. Facilities for disabled.
Open on: open every day and during services
Last update: 16/02/2013 (Redazione locale di Fusignano)