CHIESA DEL PIO SUFFRAGIO - TEMPIO DEI CADUTI
The church, with a plastered facade and niches, is also used not only for services but also as seat of concerts, meetings and exhibitions.
The church rises on the place where Corelli family, fervent enemy of landlords Calcagnini, had its house. The house was destroyed by the landlords in 1632 during a terrible battle called "il Guasto dei Calcagnini". The area was ploughed and spead with salt. It remained so till Marquis Giulio Corelli to finally put an end to the long quarrel between the two families decided to donate the lot with the special request to built here a church dedicated to the soul of deads and to S. Gregorio Magno, patron of the purgatory souls.
Don Angelo Maria Cricca, Archpriest of San Giovanni Battista, consacrated the first stone of the church on December the 3rd in 1753 and celebrated the first mass on Sunday the 25th of July in 1756, the celebration of San Giacomo Apostle.
The beautiful church was built thanks to people charity with free donations of the locals. The original structure of the building was modified in 1817 with the erection of the still existing clock tower, on the left side and then completely rebuilt in 1955 after the demages of the War war II to host a ceramic image of Our Lady, to replace the missing "Black Virgin", done by the artist Aleardo Lega from Faenza and a marble bust of Arcangelo Corelli by Raoul Vistoli.
The two altars, one dedicated to San Francesco da Paola and the other to "Madonna del Buon Consiglio", house three canvases, by the painter Benedetto Dal Buono from Lugo, which depict "Madonna del Buon Consiglio e Santi", "Morte di S. Giuseppe" and "Vergine che appare a Sant'Anna morente".
Address: Corso Emaldi - Fusignano - 48010 (RA)
Tel: 0545 955653, info
Fax: 0545 50164
How to get there
The church is located in Corso Emaldi, corner Piazza Corelli, in the historical town centre. Car parks in the sorroundings.
Open on: open during exhibitions, on April 25 and upon request
Last update: 28/04/2013 (Redazione locale di Fusignano)