San Bernardino is a small rural village in the countryside of Lugo, on the right bank of Santerno river.
This village was heavily damaged during World War II. On the 8th of March 1945, the German army completely destroyed it, uselessly trying to fix a further resitance line. Afterwards, San Bernardino was rebuilt according to a more modern structure. Of the previous village are left only few pictures and the memories of elder people.
In San Bernardino there's a road called "Carrara della fortuna" (fortune's lane) where, during the XIX century, a peculiar event occurred. A hot-air balloon which had taken off from Bologna deflated just in the sky over San Bernardino, but luckily the traveller landed safely and with no harm. In the exact place where the balloon had landed, it was put a memorial tabled that still stands there.
San Bernardino is twinned with other Italian towns named the same.
How to get there
San Bernardino is 12 km far from Lugo, Ferrara direction SP 13.
Last update: 22/03/2013 (Redazione di Lugo)