BEATA MARGHERITA MOLLI (1442-1505)
Margherita Molli was bon on the 8th of May in 1442 in Russi and she died in Ravenna on the 23rd of January 1505.
After few months from her birth, she became blind. When she was 29 she left her father's home and moved to the devout Lorenzo Orioli's family. During her stay in S.Pancrazio, she often used to visit the oratory of St.Sebastian (which is now in the village of Chiesuola), which belonged to the Orioli family, to give some girls a religious education by practising fast, poverty and penances. She then moved to Ravenna where she kept preaching and being a spiritual guide; together with her follower the Blessed Gentile Giusti-Orioli they founded the company "Compagnia del Buon Gesù".
During her life she was author of several miracles, as it's testified by her followers' witnessings when she was officially declared "Blessed" in Ravenna in 1537.
The Blessed Margherita Molli, together with the Saints Borromeo and Simone Stock and the Blessed Gentile Giusti-Orioli, is portrayed on a Barbara Longhi's canvas painted in 1618, which used to belong to the church "Chiesa del Carmine" in Russi, and it's now displayed in the parish centre (via Trieste, 35).
Info: Culture Office
- Russi - 48026 (RA)
Tel: 0544 587641
Fax: 0544 582237
Last update: 03/02/2013 (Redazione di Russi)